Wednesday, March 09, 2011

10 years as a professional

On the 4th of March, I completed 10 years of my professional career. There were certainly some high points and low points during that time, and some useful lessons.
1. Having a fun time at Infosys during the 3.5 months induction. Realising that I am not a hacker once again, and also realising that IT is not about coding at all. In fact, guys who progress quickly are good at the softer things rather than at ‘hard’ coding.

2. Being fortunate enough in not being transferred to Hyderabad like the rest of the batch purely because had got a project. Was a BI project. Pretty much have stayed in the same domain since.

3. Understanding the importance of diplomacy and patience at work. Work gets completed only when it wants to complete (especially if it involves more than one person).

4. Fortunate enough to travel to the UK. My family has found a very nice Bed and Breakfast. Lunch and dinner may be elsewhere.

5. Swiftly deducing that working in Mumbai is not for me. Probably, the long term move there will only be of my ashes.

6. Moving from IT delivery to IT consulting to Business consulting. Landing in the Big 4. Realising why they are called the Big 4. And all the hard work that needs to be done inside of me.

7. Giving up on the MBA dream, and sacrificing a million bucks (INR anyway!) for reserving the seat and then not taking it. But ultimately making one of the best financial decisions of my life.

8. Realising that I am a fairly decent decision maker (not just based on 7), just that I need to put myself out there and make decisions that have bigger impact in the organisations that I work in/for.



In the 10 years, haven't done too bad. But there is a lot more that I could have achieved. I could have been more driven, focused, and generally a better professional.

On the personal front,


1. Getting to live near London, one of the best cities in the world

2. Discovering some of the things I am – cyclist, runner, but always a dilettante in everything (and don't mean that as a compliment!)

3. Finding love and losing it.

4. Getting married and having a daughter who makes me feel special.

6 comments:

Venkysdiary said...

Just chanced upon your blog from nowhere, I would say. Actually I was trying to login to Kotaksecurities.com website and my ISP couldnt log in. Instead it prompted about your blog. Just out of curiousity I clicked on your link and read about your concerns on the kotak securities website. Not sure if you are still using it but you have listed down the concerns in 2007 very diligently.

Congratulations on completing 10 years of professional work life. Actually it has triggered a thought process of trying to look back my 13 years of work life. All the best to you!!!

cheers
Venkat

Abhi T said...

Well, I still use it. I has definitely got better, though a long way to go.

I use Kotak for its basic functionality and very infrequently now, only because I don't have the time. But it does the job

SATYA LAKSHMI said...

You told about your career very nice.

Subu said...

Cool. I never knew you are such a brilliant writer.

Have been peeping into your blog quite a few times over the last couple of years

Subu(DJ Sanghvi)

Abhi T said...

Subu,
How are you. and thanks!

Subu said...

I am fine sirji. Btw saw ur comment just now.

I am in Hyd for the past 9 yrs. With Polaris for the past 4 yrs.