Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bollywood and Cricket in Australia

Based on the recent India-Aus cricket spat (the fracas is infinitely more entertaining than cricket), can I make a hypothesis?

I think the number of movies shot in Australia will dramatically reduce. Australia has been a popular shooting location for Bollywood films - Dil Chahta, Sunday, Salaam Namaste, and Chak De India to name a few. I don't think it will last.

The reason being that Indian movie makers are big cricket fans (some like SRK and Preity Zinta have already bought IPL teams) and I don't think they will take the unrelenting abuse from the Aussies lying down.

Keep watching.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its not about cricket. Its about money. IPL is also about money.

If Australia has money they will go there without any second thought.

AM.

Abhi T said...

I somehow felt yesterday that if the I-A animosity continues in the public domain for some time, then it doesn't bode well for Aus. tourism. Choosing a location for a(Bollywood) film is a very subjective decision - I don't our directors are too worried by things like fitment to the story etc.
They might as well say - "Boss, Aus pasand nahi hai. Yeh character ko Kuala Lumpur based dikhao." They won't end up spending more in KL than Sydney.

Also, Indian tourists will probably be turned off from Aus circuit.

There is a great chance that I might be completely wrong.