Sunday, December 04, 2005

Learning new tricks

It gets dark by 4 pm here. Not that, it's sunny the rest of the time. It's like the day is fighting an eternal war against the forces of darkness. To get people out on the streets, they (forces of market) have taken the complete patronage of Christmas. There is light, glitter and decoration everywhere. Big Discounts and Huge marketing is the flavor of the season. People out in droves just shopping for gifts. The erstwhile religious occasion has been totally hijacked by the marketeers and has falling prey to consumerism big time (Diwali is on the way!).


Anyway, with the dreadful weather, how are people supposed to come out at all? So, I would understand the predicament of the high street. And anyway, all this melaa like atmosphere redolent of joy, love and expensive gifts, warms the cockles of everyone around.


As a part of the festivities, there is ice-skating rink setup in front of forum. Was there yesterday for the second time. Its fun ice-skating. To begin with, you are a uncontrollable mess of limbs. You try to balance yourself, one slippery step at a time, hands spreadeagled, grabbing the railing. But it doesnt last long. Your body tilts back, then front and sideways, everyone around you moves away, your legs furiously trying to be grounded. But the inevitable happens. You fall with a thud.


You get up and see all the people moving gracefully around and try to do the same thing. Imitate their moves. But your legs don't move. It just feels so hard. The surface is hard when you fall so badly


But, it happens for only about 1st half hour of your session. Slowly, you get the hang of it and you float around. Its just such a wonderful feeling to just glide, achieve a sense of complete control over your limbs and then play around.
Having done it about 4 times, I can say, that I am comfortable skating now. I am not a complete pro but its fun. Obviously, I would love to do it effortlessly, probably will happen over a period of time.


Swimming has been a different ball game altogether. After having done it at IIT (though just for a month), I totally lost touch. After 2 sessions here, manage to float for about 5 feet, but then either am out of breath or strength.


With a skill, the obvious thing is that you learn it faster and better as a kid (except sex, wherein you havent got the necessary tools as a child). As an adult, you are taught the techniques, but with such massively sprawled appendages and unwieldly body, which has not been put to proper use for a long time, its difficult to control your motor functions. Everything is so massively taxing on your body. Your brain needs to be rewired again.


Right now, I am smelling of chlorine (something like bathroom bleach), but I think I need to bear the stink to feel and act like a fish in water.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahha... Good one.. I liked this post...

So after the thuds.. does your 'bum' hurt ;)

Vinayak.

Anonymous said...

Well,I can say that u have mastered your English speaking skill very well and i hope i learn something good from you.good one.keep writing.

Abhi T said...

thank you, but I am no good. I can direct you to sites out there, which are far superior. But I won't. Please keep reading my tripe

Abhi T said...

Shanya,
My bum doesnt hurt, no. Only thing I am master at, is the art of falling. I fall very gracefully.

Anonymous said...

4 days was away. Was Sheetal's bro's
wedding.

But amazingly your this post came at
right time. And surprisingly I still
have same stamina. For two days I
went/ran from here to there. And then
pre-wedding night they made me swirl.
Was awake upto 2AM for 2 days, got up
early before 7. And I still feel I can
still work one more day. But yes am
no more as quick and as flexible. But
well thats the age.

AM.