Monday, February 20, 2006

Broadbandits have rights too!

Had a really bad weekend. Part of the reason was that the broadband we were using was disconnected abruptly without notice. So, what if we were piggbacking on someone else's connection, they should have informed us, about cutting us off from www. Now, does the government get rid of the encroachments on its land, without giving the hut-dwellers prior notice? No, they dont!! That is against the law. Ditto here.

It would have been better if broadband-owner was more sensitive and had come to us and said "Guys, thank you for deigning to use my broadband connection. The bit packets that you have sent and received, passed through my home, thus consecrating it like never before.

"However, my broadband has slowed, what with some really humongous downloads - in I sure all for educational purposes - that you have made. Even, the google search webpage is not loading and that is driving my poodle crazy. She is plastering dribble all over the monitor, the house and its occupants. The monitor has developed rashes - an allergic reaction to dog-saliva.

"Yesterday, Camilla (the poodle) ripped a tyre off my car and wrapped herself around the rim. Clearly, it was a suicide attempt.


"I need decent connection so my noodle.. I mean poddle, can google for whatever she wants to google for. She isn't too adept at using the keyboard and hits the paws button a little too often. We are trying to get her enrolled in a program 'Master the keyboard in 7 dog-days'. We are googling for guidance on that as well.


"Sorry, I can't be of service to you, but I hope you can sympthatise with the vexations of a dog-owner".


But he didnt!!


Fortunately, there has been divine intervention and the broadband connection has drifted back to our holy abode. Joy be to the World!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No you dont! Because BroadPandits have NO rights too!

BroadPandits are those who use internet widely and also pay for it!

So I fall under broadpandit.

But, my ISP (7star) just changed their accounting software. And guess what this new software does not follow standards and we, the customers, suffer loss.

1) The software considers 1MB = 1000*1000 bytes instead of 1024*1024 bytes. So now instead of getting 1GB (1073741824 bytes) I will be getting 1000000000 bytes, total 70.33 MB (73741824 bytes) less.

No wait its not over yet.

2) We will also be charged for checking the account balance (which was not so in earlier software). Everytime I check my usage (Login page, Account Balance page, Logout page) it consumes total 300 KB. So if I check my account status 5-10 times a day I will be using 1.5-3 MB per day. So average 2MB per day = 60 MB per month less!

Wait its still not over!

3) This new software uses protocol called PPPoE which takes 8 bytes more per packet. Packet size differs based on the data being transferred and is maximum 1492 bytes. But mostly are smaller in size. My current system usage shows 200MB data transfer is about 1500000 packets (= 12 MB more). So about 60MB more data tranfer per 1 GB.

Note: ISP doesnt incurr any charge for this overhead as its over Ethernet (LAN) and not internet but their software still accounts this.

So overall now I will be losing 70+60+60 = 190 MB for no reason or in other words instead of getting 1GB per month I will be getting 810MB per month only.(@199 Rs per 450MB, I will be paying about 80Rs more per 1GB usage)

I wrote them e-mail about the points 1-2 but haven't got a reply and I dont think I will get a reply as well. Currently the new software also charges for uploads(which is supposed to be free) but they said they will get that corrected.

The problem is they just see figures as:
1) 1024*1024 = abt 48k.. small figure
2) Account page(Login/logout page not considered) = abt 20k ...small figure
3) PPPoE overhead = 8 bytes = extremely small figure

So they think its not significant and its not important because its no loss to them. Infact its going to get them more money (as more data transfer is accounted for). And they wont care to correct this. Imagine they have 500-700 customers.. they will make 40000Rs to 55000Rs more per month. More the usage more they will earn.

But here is the dishonesty.. had it been other way, i.e. 1MB was calculated as say 1050*1050 bytes in software or PPPoE calculated 8 bytes less, I am sure they would have immediately corrected that. Totally unfair.

Not many people calculate as I did but what can a broadpandit do? There is no proper complaint department, no easy way to legally force them use official standard complaint software and most important no unity among customers.

I suppose TRAI (Telecom Regulatoty Authority of India) should pass a law that all ISPs should use only certified softwares.

OR HEY! Why is India (the IT giant) lagging behind here?

When would we get highspeed Unlimited internet? Its already there all over the world.

WE HAVE NO RIGHTS WHERE EVERYTHING IS WRONG!

AM.

Abhi T said...

Arey Bapre. Amish has gone aag-babula. Amish, dont get mad. Get Even.
Abhi: Accenture:: Amish:??

Anonymous said...

How do I get even with 7star?!

Was not at all mad, because there is no point getting mad as I know they are not going to listen to a single customer.

AM.

Anonymous said...

UPDATE:

My ISP replied after 2days. Offered me to take up unlimited package but that is going to be much costlier I suppose.(Dont know rates yet)

So I will have to continue with the same package.

AM.