Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Google Earth-Poorna

Earlier, I wouldn't know how well I was running, because I had no idea of the distance I was running or the speed. I run on urban roads and there are no measurements as such.


Google Earth has proved to be a wonderful tool in informing the exact distance (in meters) I was covering.



Here is a snapshot of one of the roads I run on. Its military area, part of which is accessible to the public. Junta from my locality go around for walks and many kids play cricket on the roads. I had no clue how long it was, until I had a look through Google Earth.




I was also able to look at the actual marathon route, and figure out how fast I should be running to get to certain milestones along the way.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

u run just 280 mtrs?

how many times?

AM.

Abhi T said...

last week 15 times.

Anonymous said...

so whats the speed that u calculated?
are u on target?
so now every1 on the road knows u?

ok jokes apart! u must beat an african! LOL.

AM.

Abhi T said...

Last time I did 9 kms in something like 53 minutes. Which is decent. I want to run half marathon (21.1 km) under 2 hours.

BTW, during one of my training runs, two guys hesitantly stop me and ask "Aap Kenya se hai ya India".

My hair is short and I must look darker and menacing at nights.

No problem, I will beat an African :-)

Anonymous said...

at nights?

u run even at night? if u do then
make sure u r running in direction
against traffic and that too trupti
on ur left. u wont be seen but
she wud be, easily.

ha!

AM

Abhi T said...

At nights in Pune. Evening in Mumbai.
Also, I got the joke. Even the guy thought I was a Kenyan, primarily coz I was running and (it was dark to see me clearly)